Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Leadership Lessons I've Learned, Number 5

5. Be decisive

I remember hearing Andy Stanley teach on leadership decisions. One thing I specifically remember him saying was, “with most decisions, you’ll basically only have 80% of the information you think you need to make the decision.” That’s true. But when it comes to decisions, we can be out of balance in two ways:

1. Paralysis by analysis: Great leaders seek wise counsel, but we have to be careful to not get stuck in the information gathering side of a decision without progressing towards the decision. In my experience of taking leadership of a church in need of drastic change, I had to be careful to gather good information from wise counsel, but in the end, I had to make a decision with some information gaps. Honestly, I could still be looking for information on every decision that I have made – and I would be that much closer to paralysis.

2. Lack of analysis: I take it seriously that the wisest person to ever walk the face of the earth sought wise counsel. If Solomon needed it, I’m thinking I do, as well. The hard part with counsel is knowing who to invite into the conversation. My challenge has been to find people who understand the vision and strategy and come to the table without personal agendas. These people may be harder to find, but the payoff is worth the search.

In the end, as a leader, we are called to move people from where we are to where we could or should be. And that takes decisions. At Watermarke Church, I’ve had some really tough ones to make, but every time, though prayer and wise counsel and decisiveness, our church and core leadership have appreciated us making the tough decision.

Be patient when you don't know the answer, but remember that indecisiveness is not a great leadership quality. Leaders can afford to not know an immediate answer, but leaders cannot be unclear about the vision.