Friday, February 27, 2009

Keeping Priorities in Check

This week has been interesting. I have a friend that has decided to take a break from church staff to spend more time with her family. And as I was listening to Andy Stanley's message from Catalyst and thinking about the idea of cheating on my family (not with another family, but with work), I just felt convicted. And I don't think I am cheating my family right now...although I certainly have in the past at times. But here is what I concluded: My perception of cheating on my family may be different than my families perception. And my families perception is the one that matters.

It is easy for me to rationally look at my work-life and believe that my family is a priority, but that is far less important that what my family perceives. I was so convicted about this yesterday and I made Chantel look me directly in the eyes and asked her one simple question, "Do you feel that my work-life, or anything else in my life, is taking precedent over you and our family?" That is a scary question to ask, and with it comes a potentially scary answer.

How many others need to ask this same question? I have NEVER met a person at the end of their life who just wished they had spent more time in the office, on the road, or at their job. Doesn't happen. I have, though, met many, many people (especially men) that wish they had spent more time with their family. My hope is that I will not be one of those guys, and that I will not only try to keep my family a higher priority than work, but that I will continually check in with my family to be sure they believe I am holding up my end of the bargain.

Gavin Adams, Lead Pastor, Watermarke Church