Wednesday, February 11, 2009

When you have IT, you know IT

I recently read the book IT, by Craig Groeschel. I absolutely loved it, so much in fact, that we are now reading IT as a staff. Not to mention that every time I type the word "it," I am tempted to capitalize IT or put "it" in quotes. But that is a side note.

Craig is an amazing leader and the Lead Pastor at Life Church, one of the most progressive and innovative churches in the world.

I bring this up for two reasons: 1. If you are a leader in a church, this is a must read, and 2. For maybe the first time since I began at Watermarke Church, we had it, IT, or "it."

It is very elusive, and it is hard to define what it is, and even harder to know how to keep it. But, like Craig states in his book, when you have it, you know it. And on Sunday, we had it.

For the next several days (or weeks or months, or maybe years), I am going to be thinking more about how we, as a Strategic Partner of North Point Ministries, can get and keep it. We are not your average church (for which I am very thankful). We are a video-based venue that is not an actual campus, which creates many new and uncharted challenges for me and our team.

Here is what I am wondering:
- How do you create personal connections through a video when the guy on video is not your real leader?
- How can we add more context to the video content?
- How does a smaller church without a full complement of environments succeed as a video venue?

I am sure some people have some answers. We are experimenting now with these concepts, too, and learning what to do and what not to do in the process. I am feeling there is more to come here...

Gavin Adams, Lead Pastor, Watermarke Church